Written by Bob "Z-Man" F.
1. Who was the original founder of the Santa Fe ?
A. Jay Gould
B. Thomas Van Owen
C. Cyrus K. Holliday
D. S. Q. Quayle
2. In what year was it founded ?
3. The city of Santa Fe, New Mexico, had to be reached by a connecting branch line, for what reason ?
A. Lack of capital at that time
B. A mandate stemming from a lawsuit
C. Gradient for the main line to the city could not be easily achieved, as constructed
D. Indian Reservation in the way of surveyors routing
4. The Atlantic & Pacific Railroad was a key part of the Santa Fe's expansion westward. What other railroad partnered with them to build this line ?
A. Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific
B. Kansas City & Western
C. Missouri Pacific
D. St. Louis ~ San Francisco
E. None of the above
5. The Santa Fe has always been associated with fast trains. Who was the Individual that chartered a train to take him from Los Angeles to Chicago, in 1905 ?
A. Walter Scott
B. Andrew Carnegie
C. William Forsythe
D. James Vanderbilt
6. What was the primary reason Fred Harvey introduced the Harvey Girls ?
A. Attract more patrons
B. Simple business decision
C. Unreliable and unruly waiters
D. Not enough staffing in the far west
7. The Santa Fe did not utilize which of the following wheel arrangements on its' steam locomotives ?
8. Who designed Santa Fe's famous red and silver Warbonnet paint scheme ?
A. Leland Knickerbocker
B. Walter Schumacher
C. Edward Reonicke
D. Phillip Radamaker
9. What Santa Fe train holds their system Speed Record ?
A. Super Chief
B. California Limited
C. Fast Mail
D. Super C
10. What class of Hood Type road diesel locomotive, when new, was the last to wear the black and silver Zebra Stripe paint scheme ?
E. Both B and C
F. Both A and B
11. What locomotives' trucks were re-used as part of a new locomotive order ?
12. What were they re-used on ?
D. All of the above
13. What locomotive did Santa Fe re-order, that was delivered in a road number that reflected the 1969 - 1970 general locomotive renumbering program ?
14. During the late 1960's, the Santa Fe was besieged with huge grain harvests, and a chronic shortage of covered hoppers. What type of freight car was NOT used as a means of transport for this commodity ?
A. Open top hoppers
B. Box Cars
C. Stock Cars
D. Refrigerator Cars
15. In what year was the Yellow Bonnet paint scheme introduced ?
16. What did the term Continuous Time refer to ?
A. Traction motors
B. Operating crew turnarounds
C. System Time Clocks
D. A job with no days off
17. The Santa Fe was the largest owner of SD-45-2's. What was NOT a feature of units 5687-5714 ?>
A. Last batch ordered
B. Delivered with black trucks
C. Geared for 90 m.p.h. operation
D. Rear number boards
18. The Santa Fe was well known for their locomotive rebuilding skills. Their fleet of aging SD-24's went through complete upgrades. Old 567 power assemblies were replaced with new, 16 cylinder 645's, rated at 2,625 H.P. Also, the electrical systems were upgraded to Dash-2 standards. What was THE most unique aspect of these units ?
A. Some were equipped as Locotrol masters
B. Some of the SD-24's were repainted into the Yellow Warbonnet BEFORE being rebuilt
C. All eighty SD-24's were in active service prior to rebuilding
D. They were already slated for trade-in, on new units
19. What does Canadian National SD-50F 5456 have to do with the Santa Fe ?
A. Santa Fe's Motive Power people went to check this unit out in Toronto, Ontario, Canada,
as a prelude to a possible locomotive order from E.M.D.
B. Santa Fe borrowed this unit to evaluate the Safety Cab and desk-top controls, in 1988
C. It was rebuilt from a wrecked Santa Fe F-45
D. It was destroyed in a wreck while in pool service on the Santa Fe near Carrollton, Missouri
20. The letter Q in a Santa Fe freight train symbol stood for Quality. What was the outcome of this operating concept ?
A. Short, fast, intermodal trains, operating with two man crews, between city pairs.
B. The introduction of alpha trains into their schedule planning, and the subsequent gradual phase-out of the numeric system.
C. A successful marketing strategy offering vastly improved service
D. All of the above